Natural Beekeeping

Top Bar ApiRevolution has begun! Lets make some inexpensive Top Bar Hives and let them be pesticide free on their own natural comb! Che Guebee is a rebel bee fighting for the survival of the Biodiversity we all depend on and which is seriously endangered by deforestation and mono-crop agriculture! What kind of teaching have you got if you exclude nature?

Monday, July 8, 2013

Do Honeybees pollinate Peas

The answer is Yes They Do :)
Do Peas need pollination, no they don't because they can self pollinate but I have seen both Bumblebees and Honeybees on the nearby Pea field.
And this makes me think about the allowed use of Neonicotinoid pesticides on crops not pollinated by the bees. Many here believe that bees don't fly on Pea flower but as you can see on this photos I took yesterday THEY DO ;)

Typical orange pollen from Peas


There are 6 hectares of Peas around my apiary and I'm sure my ladies will be spending lots of time collecting honey and pollen here. The farmer who owns this told me that Honeybees don't pollinate Peas but my photos show differently. I will make sure he sees them too ;)
The good news is that he isn't using Neonicotinoids on his fields, but an insecticide used by organic farmers (forgot the name, something with P).
So far I see no dead bees in front of the hives. Lets hope it stays this way.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to find your blog. You have maintain it with quality content and useful information. Also nice to read this informative post. Surely will visit again. Keep Posting.

    Thanks a lot for sharing.
    WeSaveBees | Live Bee Removal

    ReplyDelete